Shawhill goes up to York to run in a competitive little listed handicap. She’s the outsider of five, and I fancy her to go very well.
There are a lot of imponderables here;
- She’s never raced on ground as soft as this
- … or over a distance as long as this
- Last time she won she was on a mark of 67, 23 lbs lower than today
- The jockey has never sat on her before
- She’s had a lot of racing and could be over the top
All of the above are concerns – the biggest concern is simply that she may well not be good enough at this level.
None of these things worry me – I love the horse and I think she’ll win. I’ve owned her for a while now, but other than the odd small bet I’ve never backed her – initially we didn’t know a lot about her and her last two runs have bee in France. I’ve backed her today. Expect her to run prominently alongside the favourite.
Captain Hurricane ran a poor race yesterday. I haven’t given up on him – we know he has talent and we just have to hope that one day he’ll return to form.